Prompt 4 — Interaction

Our topic for the final learning resource is the Chinese Culture and Chinese Festival. The question I am response to our final project is: “How would modernization impact the way Chinese people celebrate the traditional festival?”. When introducing the impact of modernization, one change is about the change for transportation. I included this YouTube video: 40 years for China’s Spring Festival travel rush as a learning resource for students to have a visual view of how it has changed.

• What kind of interaction would the video require from your students? Does it force them to respond in some way (inherent)?

For this video, we only require students to watch the video to understand how transportation has been shift in the last 40 years. The video itself doesn’t require them to respond in any format. However, we are going to discuss this change in the live session. Therefore, students will also have a chance to review this short video during the live session. For student who are not able to attend live session, they could provide their response in the Q&A section.

• In what way are they likely to respond to the video on their own, e.g. make notes, do an activity, think about the topic (learner-generated)?

During the live session, students are required to ask questions they have regards to the learning content. They will also be required to respond to one of the student’s questions either during the live session or after live session in their own post.

• How would students get feedback on the activity that you set? What medium or technology would they and/or you use for getting and giving feedback on their activity?

Students will get immediate feedback during the live session when they ask a question or answer to a content. Feedback might coming from me directly or the student in the class. If they cannot participate in the live session, I will also provide them feedback for their post.

• How much work for you would that activity cause? Would the work be both manageable and worthwhile? Could the activity be scaled for larger numbers of students?

The live session doesn’t take that much time for the instructor, I only need to organize the online meeting time and should be providing responses and feedback during the meeting since we are only expecting 15-20 members small class. Even if I need to provide feedback after class, I can still do it very fast. If we are managing larger numbers of students, we will need to require most student participants in the live class.

• How will you address any potential barriers for your learners in using this video to ensure an inclusive design?

The video I picked is short and easy to follow; the only thing needed for students are just the internet. Since it is a YouTube video, students can access it whenever they want. The only barriers could be that students might not always have internet access or only have their phones using their data. Thus the video we picked is very short to help them save some money